The Parisian Beauty Palette
“Sois belle à ta façon” –to be beautiful in your own way, and I believe this is the formule infaillible to classy, timeless beauty.
Before getting into our cosy tête-à-tête about Parisian beauty – I would say.., Beauty routine is a habit, and so is skincare. A beautiful quote by Mathilde Thomas comes to mind; she says, “Our beauty routine should give us pleasure because when you feel good, you look good.”
A Paris, avec amour – To Paris, with love
It has been almost two years that I haven’t been able to go to my beloved city, Paris. In this global crisis brought about by the Covid-19 pandemic, I must admit it pains me so much to come to the terms that it’s going to take even longer, maybe yet another year, before i can visit Paris again. It is famously known in my circles that I am influenced by the Parisian culture to the point of adulation – from food to fashion to art, and most of all, their enchanting beauty. Where should I start with my list of Things I Love About Paris??
Paris is home to some of the finest culinary artisans and the world’s best Michelin Starred restaurants that curate such exquisite epicurean delights that make your gastronomical senses explode with ecstasy every time you bite into any of the French delicacies. And the sheer solace of sitting on an antique-styled chair at one of the unique, aesthetic cafeterias in the morning, taking in the heavenly aromas of freshly-brewed coffee and fresh French bread, where you see love birds just starting their day with morning kisses, or heading back from their rendezvous of moulin rouge, unwinding at a vintage French cafe outside ‘Chateau De Montemartre‘, slicing off a thick chunk of soft, warm, fragrant baguette and slathering it with salted butter while sipping on a cup of strong noisette……….
It was at these moments of my treasured tranquility that I used to observe many French women passing by in such elegant, fluid motions, leaving the essence of true Parisian beauty in the air. As a matter of fact, if you read fashion magazines or follow beauty blogs in any way, shape or form, you’ll know that Parisian women always inspire that sense of natural minimalism, along with being je ne sais quoi – a quality that cannot be described easily – mysterious and sensuous.
From the over-the-top classic beauty icon queen, Marie Antoinette, to the lucid, chic, and always put-together famous French actress Audrey Tautou, Parisian women have been uplifting our fashion and beauty routine for centuries now. In a world where the current trends and seasons roll in and out of style like cyclonic winds, French beauty has remained ageless and evergreen. Just like how you can n’échoue jamais, that is never go wrong, with a classic Maison Fragonard, in the same way, the Parisian and French beauty approach shall always be unparalleled.
Beauty shouldn’t be about discomfort or being someone else; rather it should be all about simplicity, and the natural glow! This is where the French women take the crown!
And so, that is why today I have decided to present to you the Parisian Beauty Palette. Guilty of my love for ‘all things French’ as we’ve already established, I thought of sharing the beauty tricks and tips I have observed that Parisian women follow religiously. With these guidelines, you’ll be able to create a stylishly elegant, yet an effortlessly playful look. One important thing to keep in mind is that capturing the style of a Parisian woman isn’t about their clothing, but it’s also about their beauty, and the way they radiate glamour.
Play like a Parisian
- Caring less for complications – ‘I woke up like this’ is a Parisian term used for not giving a damn about having blow-dried hair, having our locks sleek and straight. The French just keep their hair adorably tousled; they embrace their natural texture. What’s more, there are many anecdotes shared by Parisian women admitting that they avoid using a hairbrush between washes, using only their fingers instead to untangle any knots.
Dry shampoo and hair spray??? L’amener sur! (Bring it on!)
- The madly-in-love glow – “L’amour rend toutes choses belles” – Love makes all things beautiful. I still get blushes and rushes when I think about what falling in love for the very first time did to my skin. I remember curbing my appetite so as to look beautiful and slender like a French girl, and telling my lover often, “Your love makes me glow….!” French women swear by minimal makeup, but will always believe in a healthy, glowing, and hydrated skin. The easiest way of getting that is following a good skincare routine, maintaining a healthy diet, and not compromising on your beauty sleep. Moreover, you should definitely use a good SPF formula to let your bare skin do the talking and NOT that layer of foundation. For a naturally beautiful look, all you need is healthy skin and thin brushing of BB/CC cream followed by a finishing powder. This is aiming for a blur on your natural texture, rather than coating it with a new veneer.
- Less is More – Just imagine, your natural I-woke-up-like-this glowing finish, played in conjunction with a smokey eye and red lip – Ooh la la! Parisian essentials any day! Of course, a winged eyeliner screams French glamour all the way, but, a smokey-smudgy (remember: imperfection is key) kohl-rimmed eye is just as much a staple. You will rarely see a French woman contour her face with multifarious products – that’s a complete no-no. A touch of rouge is the essence of French beauty; it enhances the natural glow and creates that flushed-blushed-rushed, just-out-of-bed-with-my-lover look. Wink!
- The Scent of A Woman – Every Frenchwoman has a signature scent that she keeps a secret, guarding it with her heart! One whiff of her lets everyone know she has entered the room. Parisian women know how to make a statement and leave you breathless like you’ve just seen the most beautiful piece of art. Just like her possessions in life, she will find her exclusive scent and stick to it no matter the time of day or the occasion, keeping her signature fragrance subtly under wraps. After all, what’s more effortless than one less decision to make in life?
- French Tips – As you already know, French nails are known to be a women’s best friend; even a little pop of ruby red and subtle natural colours can make all the difference. The French are never afraid of experimenting with colours, but you will rarely see Parisian women growing out their nails. They let the art flow from their fingers, and keeping it short and neatly manicured, just like French hairstyles, is kind of an innate style statement. The softly tapered finish of their nails is super flattering and gives every finger shape a feminine, sexy, and glamorous look. Whether they are painted in nudes, or a variety of reds and maroons, French nails are the perfect canvas for clean-cut simple hand gestures.
The secret of French beauty is as simple as the feeling of love – stick to your own essence, skin in this matter. If you love Paris like I do, you will be familiar with the tree-lined, spacious boulevards, a boulangerie on every block selling intricate pastries alongside fresh loaves, numerous rustic cafes with their seats faced outwards on Champs-Élysées (people for watching), the aforementioned capturing the sophistication and the finesse of a woman who struts down the street. Paris is easy to fall in love with, and that’s what French beauty is all about.